Monday, May 11, 2015

Remembering Mak on Mother's Day


I used to send her flowers sometimes, fruit basket sometimes and a lunch treat on Mother's Day... It has been almost 10 years since she is gone and I still do miss her dearly.

My mother was a teacher.. She started to be a teacher when she was 13 years old. Those days, once you can read and write and count fairly well you get to teach others. It was not until much later that she enrolled in the teachers' training college in Malacca.

Last Sunday was Mother's Day.. and memories of her flooded my mind as my heart ached to be with her.As I remembered each stage of my life with her, I reminisce the advice and words she used to say... be honest, be sincere, be kind to others.. When you are tasked to carry out a task or piece of work, it is 'amanah' that we need to carry out the best we could.

At another stage of my life, she always reminded us her children that we should be 'sederhana' or moderate in our life in every aspect. How we spend money for food, clothes, assets, how we conducts ourselves in the many relationships we have with others. To me, her message of being 'sederhana' does not mean to be average but to be moderate, calm, rational and composed.

Another message that she sends out to us not by saying but through her actions is continuous learning. After her retirement, she focussed on learning and gaining knowledge on Islam. She encouraged the womenfolk around the area to come to the masjid to listen to talks, follow the lessons and organized many many activities. Those deeds gave her such joy and she gained many many friends through these activities.

Those moments of hearing her advice, those observations of her activities, those messages that she kept reminding are what shaped me to be what I am today. As a mother myself now, I hope that if I can be even a small percentage of what my mother was, I would be happy.

I hope I am and can continue to be a mother that sets an example for my children to follow and let it live on for generations to come..

Happy Mothers Day... everyday...

Al-Fatihah for my mother - Hajjah Kalthum

1 comment:

  1. MWTC churns the best teachers for the country. And our moms are the product of that college. We should be very proud of them.

    Happy Mother's Day to us.
    Alfatehah to your Mak.

    ReplyDelete